Tiziana Caponio, PhD in Political Science at the University Cesare Alfieri of Florence, is currently Marie Curie Research Fellow at MPC with the project ‘Migration Policy in Multilevel Political Settings. City Networks in Europe and North America (MInMUS)’. Her research focus on migration policy and policymaking, with a specific attention to the local dimension and multilevel governance dynamics. Since 2015 she is Associate Professor at the Department of Cultures, Politics and Society (CPS) of the University of Turin, where she has been teaching ‘Dynamics and policies of migration’. She is also Research Fellow at Collegio Carlo Alberto and at the Fourm of International and European Research on Immigration (FIERI). She is co-chair of the Standing Committee on ‘The Multilevel Governance of Immigration and Immigrant Integration Policies’ of the IMISCOE Research Network and has been involved in many international collaborative projects on migration and immigrant integration policies in Europe and beyond. In April-June 2017 she was Luigi Einaudi Chair at the Cornell Institute for European Studies (Cornell University). She has recently edited together with Peter Scholten and Ricard Zapata The Routledge Handbook of the Governance of Migration and Diversity in Cities. Always adopting a multilevel governance perspective, she is currently involved in the analysis of Italian asylum policies (see below Current Projects). Among recent publications on this topic: (with Teresa Cappiali), Italian Migration Policies in Times of Crisis: The Policy Gap Reconsidered, South European Politics and Society, 23(1), pp. 115-132 .
Research topics: Migration policy, local policies, multilevel governance, immigrant integration.
Geographic areas: Europe and North America.
Peer reviewed research monographies, edited books and Special Issues
- Caponio, T., Scholten, P. and Zapata-Barrero, R. (eds) (2019), The Routledge Handbook of the Governance of Migration and Diversity in Cities, Routledge, Abington
- Caponio, T. and Jones-Correa, M. (eds) (2018) ‘Special Issue. Theorising migration policy in multilevel states: The multilevel governance perspective’, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 44(11-12) [online first: August 2017].
- Zapata-Barrero, R., Caponio, T. and Scholten, P. (2017) ‘Special Issue. Theorizing the ‘local turn’ in the governance of immigrant policies: A multilevel approach’, International Review of Administrative Sciences, 83(2) [online first: December 2015].
- Caponio, T., Testore, G. and Wisthaler, V. (2018), ‘Intergovernmental relations on immigrant integration in Italy. Insights from Piedmont and South Tyrol’, Regional and Federal Studies, published on-line May 31st.
- Caponio, T. and Cappiali, C. (2018), ‘Italian Migration Policies in Times of Crisis: The Policy Gap Reconsidered’, South European Politics and Society, 23(1), pp. 115-132.
- Caponio, T. (2018), ‘Immigrant integration beyond national policies? Italian cities’ participation in European city networks’, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 44(11-12), pp. 2053-2069 [online first: August 2017], doi:10.1080/1369183X.2017.1341711.